Feb 19, 2011

David and the Giant

“Who has heard of the story, ‘David and Goliath’,” I ask.  No one raises their hand. Maybe they misunderstand me. After all, my Spanish is not perfect. “Who knows the story of David, from the Bible, and the Giant”? Nothing.

I ask if anyone would like to pray and little Juan raises his hand. This is good because his Spanish is certainly better than mine! I don’t get every word he says, but it sounds like the same memorized prayer he prayed last time. 

So, I pray, “Lord Jesus, open our eyes to see you and our ears to hear you. Give us understanding of your Word, your stories in the Bible. Amen.”

As I read and retell the story of young David’s courage and defeat of the huge giant, the children’s eyes are huge. The entire time I’m sharing with them I am thinking, ‘Wow. This is the first time they are hearing this!?!’
Afterward, we talk about what this story means, and what it means to us. No matter how difficult life is, how hard a situation can be, God is bigger and stronger. He is our protector and provider. God, our creator, gives us exactly what we need when we need it. David prayed, obeyed, & trusted in his God, and God knew David’s heart. He helped David.

These five & six year olds are beginning to squirm a little. It’s been almost fifteen minutes. I notice one boy is really hanging on every word. After asking them if there are any questions or comments, we pray. “God, our creator, draw us to you. Remind us of your faithfulness, even during hard times, throughout this week. Amen.”
There are over twenty kids living in our complex (including our four). Some of these guys have a little knowledge of God’s Word. Many of them know nothing. One boy, Diego, asked his Nanny, “Who is God? I don’t know Him. Tell me who he is.”

That is where you and I come in. Many of you are involved in a ministry that you know nothing about. You have been praying for and sending out missionaries, but what exactly are they doing out there? This is just one tiny snippet of what we, with the help of our Lord, are doing.

Every Thursday evening we have a children's Bible study in our home. The stories that most of us know, and have always known, do not exist in their little worlds. It is time to rally the troops (that’s you and me) to pray. Would you please pray specifically for our Thursday night Bible study here in Santo Domingo? Pray that God would allow these children, ranging from 4 years to 15 years old, to stay attentive to the Bible stories. Pray that God would draw them into a relationship with Himself to further His Kingdom. 

And, thank you for your involvement and work in the ministry here in the Dominican Republic. The giant we face cannot be defeated by man alone. Your prayers are crucial!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This is so sweet to me. I can picture the looks on their faces, because I see them on my two little boys' faces every time we read a new Bible story! It's so thrilling to know that you're sharing God's truth with someone who's never heard it before! Our family will be praying for those little kids. Maybe we could start some sort of a pen pal thing between your children's bible study and us?