Jan 16, 2011

Pedro Brand

The winter here in the Dominican Republic is nearing the end; at least this is my opinion. The last couple of weeks I have broken a sweat just sitting in my living room. The break from the heat has been nice and the nights are still cool but unfortunately, it will be changing soon. I know this is drastically different from the weather many of our friends and family are experiencing back in the States. It's been freezing rain, snowing and just very cold! Well, hang in there because warmer days are coming for you too.


I would like to share with you about the new church plant that we have been working with. The pastor's name is Alehandro. Alehandro is a young accountant with a beautiful wife by the name of Joanna and they have 4 kids. One day, Alehandro came into the Baptist Bookstore and stumbled across a book about church planting. He went home, read the book, and called the author of the book.

The author of the book is the executive director of the Dominican Baptist Convention. His name is Manolo. Manolo, as a young boy, was basically raised by an IMB missionary (Paul Sierberman) and grew up as a missionary kid here in the Dominican Republic. In fact, to fast forward many years, now he is also the pastor of the church that Paul Sierbman planted in Puerto Plata. He has planted many churches and has started Macedonia school which teaches believers how to plant churches.

Alehandro was so encouraged by the conversation. Feeling the Lord leading him to be a church planter, he began a bible study in his neighborhood and thus, started the church 'Pedro Brand'. The church now has a building and recently, Alehandro started teaching the Macedonia curriculum. There has since been many "professions" of faith, but time will reveal the real nature of their lives. God is the only seeker.

Several of the "professions" have been young teenage boys. Since, I had started discipling two young men by the name of Christian and Alex in October; we have just begun a new study. Now, we have around 8-10 teenagers on Wednesday nights and we are going through the book of Romans. I will blog more about this next week.

It's funny how the Lord works things out. I was a youth pastor for 11 years in the States and here I am in another country doing the same thing. I feel honored to be discipling the future church pastors and leaders of the Dominican Republic. But, I wish I had the higher level of language that was needed to go along with it. It’s also interesting how often times the verses of inspiration for me are found in Numbers 22:22-35. If only I would be as effective as the deliverer of truth found in this passage.

Would you joing me in praying for the church at Pedro Brand? 

Pray that the Lord would:

-Deepen Alehandro's walk with the Lord.
-Convinct the church of sin.
-Draw people unto him in Pedro Brand.
-Grow his kingdom in the lives of the new believers.

No comments: