Apr 24, 2011

April Updates

Recent Travels
We are so thankful for the prayers of His saints that continue to intercede on our behalf. The recent trips to Haiti, and Lima, Peru were successful. I am happy to report that the missionary family in Haiti officially has a place to call home. The Board recently approved our proposal for their rental home.  The family was so excited when I called them with the news. The wife cried out "Praise the Lord!" Would you join me in praying for them to receive their belongings from the States and the Dominican Republic without any issues and in a timely manner? The kids are in need of their home school curriculum.

Discipleship
My recent trips made it very difficult for me to continue my discipleship with Alex and Christian, but upon my return they were more than eager to spend the night with us and just hang out. We went swimming, played Wii, and ate at Taco Bell! They loved it! I know this doesn't seem too spiritual but the guys were able to relate to us on a personal level (I believe discipleship is a life on life process). The weekend was great and we are all looking forward to the next time that we get to just "hang out." Would you please join me in praying for Alex and Christian as we continue to walk through Romans in our time of study? Pray that the Lord will continue to draw them unto him, guard their purity, and further solidify their desires for his Kingdom.

Mask and Snorkel Anyone?
This weekend was a getaway weekend for the family at the beach. It was truly a refreshing time to experience the awe and wonder of our Lord's creation. The view of the ocean with the waves crashing on the shore was amazing, and to observe the ocean melting into the horizon, breathtaking. The time spent with our Lord was truly incredible. During this time, the Lord really spoke to me through Jacob. We had been out swimming and kayaking with the kids in the ocean the first part of the day, so late afternoon I opted for some personal time snorkeling. It was beautiful watching the different species of fish feeding around an old abandoned dock. Sometime had passed and Jacob came running down to the ocean shaking like a leaf from swimming in the rather cold swimming pool. He asked if he could go snorkeling. Reluctantly, I gave up my personal time and said, "Of course but you are freezing cold."  He said he didn't care he just wanted to be with me (he's such a smooth talker). So, I gave him my snorkel and used his .50 cent snorkel (another sacrifice but who's counting). We had been floating around for three or four minutes pointing at different fish and giving each other thumbs up under the water when Jacob pops up with a BIG SMILE and says, "Daddy, this is AWESOME and I love snorkeling with you. I never knew it was so AWESOME under the ocean!"

Wow! I realized right then that like Jacob, I once believed everything my eyes were seeing was 'it' and I had no idea of the AWESOMENESS of God all around me. Jacob's story is a lot like salvation. He saw the ocean but never saw the fish until his eyes were opened with a mask and snorkel. He was asking me today, "Dad, when are we going snorkeling again?"

I want to close with these questions. Has God ever opened your eyes to experience his glory? If he has, then you realize what a sinner you truly are and your need for his forgiveness and salvation. This world is like the ocean view I described earlier. It's beautiful, but in order to truly experience life you need the word of God to open your eyes to see the life that's waiting in Jesus Christ. Once the Lord opens your eyes, you will never want to go back to your former way of life. Like Jacob, you will always want to go deeper than the surface. You will want to experience the depths of Christ love! Are you ready to grab your mask and snorkel to experience the depths of God's love?

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved (Ephesians 2:1-5).

No comments: